One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used by children to refer to a little bird.
- ‘He often leaves the lakewatching to look for dickey birds.’
- ‘The trees and shrubs attract thousands of migrant dickey birds (warblers, sparrows, swallows, kinglets, vireos), and the marsh vegetation attracts several species or rails, American Bitterns, and Black-crowned Nightherons.’
- ‘A little dicky bird tootled discordantly by the waterhole the other day, distracting the Professor from his joyful sifting of all the bargains to be found on the bustling bourses of our free-market world.’
- ‘One of the most serious threats quail and dickey birds face today is the growing number of feral and ‘outdoor’ cats.’
- ‘There were books, books, books, largely technical, pamphlets largely specializing in just one branch of Conservation, like soils or Forestry or Wildlife, and mailing material on wild flowers and dickey birds.’
- ‘That's what a little dicky bird claims to have overheard, and he has passed along the transcript to the Professor.’
- ‘One could probably spend a lifetime trying to figure out the subtleties and peculiarities of the behavior of just the dickey birds inhabiting this amazing area.’
- ‘A few minutes later my two companions and I walked down a country road examining the little dickey birds perched along the fence.’
- ‘The best dickey bird of the day was a single Cedar Waxwing sitting on the wire just in front of the watch.’
- ‘Crossbills are fairly small dickey birds, and he didn't notice it until a split second before he drove over it, but since he didn't squish it with his wheels, he used a CB radio to call the field trip van behind him to stop and check it out.’
- ‘A tiny dicky bird has told me Edmonton's answer to Rufus Wainwright will bring his quirky sensibility to the upcoming Enbridge Symphony in the Park.’
- ‘Basically, Alt was a sock puppet in an elaborate and sinister plot hatched by Audubon Pennsylvania to eradicate the state's deer, thereby achieving its secret goal of ending all hunting and seizing control of public land, the better to raise dickey birds.’
- ‘You can watch eagles and loons, warblers that migrate here, dickey birds, and waterfowl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.