Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used by children to refer to a little bird.
- ‘The trees and shrubs attract thousands of migrant dickey birds (warblers, sparrows, swallows, kinglets, vireos), and the marsh vegetation attracts several species or rails, American Bitterns, and Black-crowned Nightherons.’
- ‘A few minutes later my two companions and I walked down a country road examining the little dickey birds perched along the fence.’
- ‘Basically, Alt was a sock puppet in an elaborate and sinister plot hatched by Audubon Pennsylvania to eradicate the state's deer, thereby achieving its secret goal of ending all hunting and seizing control of public land, the better to raise dickey birds.’
- ‘You can watch eagles and loons, warblers that migrate here, dickey birds, and waterfowl.’
- ‘Crossbills are fairly small dickey birds, and he didn't notice it until a split second before he drove over it, but since he didn't squish it with his wheels, he used a CB radio to call the field trip van behind him to stop and check it out.’
- ‘There were books, books, books, largely technical, pamphlets largely specializing in just one branch of Conservation, like soils or Forestry or Wildlife, and mailing material on wild flowers and dickey birds.’
- ‘One of the most serious threats quail and dickey birds face today is the growing number of feral and ‘outdoor’ cats.’
- ‘He often leaves the lakewatching to look for dickey birds.’
- ‘The best dickey bird of the day was a single Cedar Waxwing sitting on the wire just in front of the watch.’
- ‘One could probably spend a lifetime trying to figure out the subtleties and peculiarities of the behavior of just the dickey birds inhabiting this amazing area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.