Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(typically in an animal species) the occurrence of two different kinds of coloring.
- ‘In no case did we find a significant interaction between sexual dichromatism and year.’
- ‘Sex of each chick at six weeks of age was recorded, when sexual plumage dichromatism became unambiguous.’
- ‘Extrapair paternity has been reported to be strongly positively associated with sexual dichromatism.’
- ‘One of the most conspicuous ornamental traits in avian sexual dichromatism is carotenoid-based plumage coloration.’
- ‘Collection of the goldfinches took place when plumage dichromatism between males and females is subtle.’
2Color-blindness in which only two of the three primary colors can be discerned.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.