Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ripening of the stamens and pistils of a flower at different times, so that self-fertilization is prevented.Compare with homogamy
- ‘Flowering plants have several mechanisms that have evolved to prevent self-fertilization, e.g. self-incompatibility systems, heterostyly and dichogamy.’
- ‘Although dichogamy is considered an important factor influencing gender expression, its roles in promoting the evolution of gender specialization are still poorly understood.’
- ‘This suggests that weak dichogamy occurs in this species unless stigma maturation is delayed by the retention of self-pollen.’
- ‘However, if flowering is asynchronous and the behaviour of individual pollinators does not follow a regular pattern within a plant, dichogamy might have little effect on reducing geitonogamy.’
- ‘However, the form of dichogamy (protogyny and protandry) is likely to have different consequences for autogamy versus geitonogamy.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek dikho- apart, in two + gamos marriage.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.