One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an acid) having two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
- ‘These authors suggested that malate, synthesized from stored starch, was a possibility for the dibasic anion.’
- ‘Collagen, the most abundant connective tissue protein, contains several dibasic amino acids and has slow turnover rate.’
- ‘However, the phosphate used in this trial was dibasic sodium phosphate and this is known to alter the ratio of dibasic and monobasic phosphate (plasma phosphate).’
- ‘Patients in group I received 2.4 g of monobasic sodium phosphate and 0.9 g of dibasic sodium phosphate for mechanical bowel preparation on the day before surgery.’
- ‘Condensation polymers are usually formed between dibasic organic acids and dihydroxyalcohols or diamines.’
Mid 19th century: from di- ‘two’+ basic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.