Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition in which feces are discharged from the bowels frequently and in a liquid form.
loose motions, looseness of the bowelsthe skitters, the runs, the trots, gippy tummy, holiday tummy, spanish tummy, delhi belly, montezuma's revenge, aztec revenge, aztec two-stepthe squitsturistadysentery, lienterythe flux, laxView synonyms
- ‘Your immune system attacks your body cells and causes symptoms such as diarrhoea, rashes and liver damage.’
- ‘Constipation, diarrhoea or alternating constipation and diarrhoea are common symptoms.’
- ‘Bites from snakes can also contain venom, causing the symptoms of diarrhoea and sickness.’
- ‘The side effects from phototherapy may include a rash and diarrhoea.’
- ‘Frequent bouts of diarrhea make it difficult to care for these ulcers and healing is often impeded.’
- ‘He said better nutrition could help save the two million babies who die each year from diarrhea and chicken pox.’
- ‘Its most common side effects include diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, and skin rash.’
- ‘Having frequent bouts of diarrhoea can easily interfere with work and normal social activities.’
- ‘Virtually all patients with ulcerative colitis have rectal bleeding or bloody diarrhoea.’
- ‘Symptoms of the disease include vomiting and diarrhea and eventually death if treatment is not given promptly.’
- ‘Bloody stools are rare in viral diarrhea but common in severe bacterial diarrhea.’
- ‘The drugs used in this process can make some women feel sick and in some cases they may vomit or have diarrhoea.’
- ‘Persistent diarrhoea was defined as any diarrhoea that lasted for at least 14 consecutive days.’
- ‘Stress tends to set off the symptoms of diarrhea and gas, and sometimes constipation.’
- ‘Malnutrition combined with epidemics of diarrhoea killed tens of thousands of people.’
- ‘Nausea and vomiting and diarrhea are useful ways to rid the body of infection and toxins.’
- ‘Their symptoms include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as nausea and general aches and pains.’
- ‘A child who has diarrhea from giardiasis may lose too much fluid in the stool and become dehydrated.’
- ‘Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and fever, and can last for up to 60 hours.’
- ‘If the main symptom is diarrhoea, food passes through the digestive system faster than usual.’
Late Middle English: via late Latin diarrhoea from Greek diarrhoia, from diarrhein flow through from dia through + rhein to flow.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.