Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A period of suspended development in an insect, other invertebrate, or mammal embryo, especially during unfavorable environmental conditions.
- ‘Many of the insects that go into diapause are eggs and pupae awaiting the arrival of spring and its bounty of food before hatching into adults, Holscher said.’
- ‘By the third week, most females will be laying progeny that will enter diapause.’
- ‘Their reproductive cycle is characterized by a period of embryonic diapause, during which the blastocyst suspends implantation and development.’
- ‘Eggs hatching from diapause introduce to current environments species or genotypes laid at times in the distant past.’
- ‘These ridges indicate the period of diapause during the winter or unfavorable environmental conditions, such as lower water level or lack of food.’
verb[NO OBJECT]usually as adjective diapausing
(of an insect or other animal) undergo a period of suspended development.
- ‘Active individuals only reappear in the water column in autumn when diapausing eggs begin hatching in autumn after fish predation intensity declines.’
- ‘They continue this pattern until they diapause in the leaf litter, where they over-winter, emerging in the spring as orange caterpillars with numerous dark brown, tufted spines.’
- ‘Eggs diapause over winter, and development resumes after the spring thaw.’
- ‘Migratory birds and diapausing insects are present throughout the arctic, and thus overall herbivory in arctic systems may remain highly seasonal.’
- ‘The larval generation and adult flight order is as indicated because offspring from third-flight individuals overwinter as diapausing pupae and emerge the following spring.’
Late 19th century: from dia- through + the noun pause.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.