Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The use in a text of different tones or viewpoints, whose interaction or contradiction is important to the text's interpretation.
- ‘For postmodern writers such as Markson, dialogism between various forms of writing, belonging to as many forms of genre, is a way of individualizing one's own style precisely as text.’
- ‘My concept of intertextuality thus goes back to Bakhtin's dialogism and Barthes' text theory.’
- ‘Toward this end, Fast proposes a poetics of relationality grounded in ideas of dialogue and dialogism, concepts she borrows from Russian theorist M. M. Bakhtin.’
- ‘This essay will explore how In the Time of the Butterflies coincides strongly with the Russian philosopher's discussions of the genetic characteristics, polyphonic discourse, and dialogism of the novel.’
- ‘I had previously taught this course as a kind of ‘dialogue of theories,’ which reflects my commitment to the Bakhtinian notion of dialogism as the most credible way to view knowledge-making in any field.’
Mid 16th century: from late Latin dialogismos, from Greek dialogizesthai to converse from dialogos discourse (see dialogue).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.