One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of linguistics concerned with the study of dialects.
- ‘In generative dialectology, the investigator holds that the language exists within the speaker as a competence which is never fully realized in performance.’
- ‘In this respect the study of dialects or dialectology has to do with boundaries, which often coincide with geographical features such as rivers and mountains.’
- ‘Worse, this stuff may give readers the mistaken impression that Geoff believes that the G&M media bias paper is somehow about the ideology of Portuguese dialectology.’
- ‘Deviations occur increasingly from the 16th cent., but few fully localized texts, showing sufficient diagnostic features for a more detailed dialectology, occur before the 18th.’
- ‘Regarding the second principle, the lessons of historical linguistics and dialectology provide the strongest arguments available for the linguistic validity of U.S. Spanish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.