One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a diagonal direction.‘now walk diagonally across the field toward a farmhouse’
obliquely, at an angle, crossways, crosswise, on the cross, on the slant, slantwise, aslant, cornerwise, on the biasView synonyms
- ‘She turned around and smiled at Keith who was, as usual, seated diagonally behind her.’
- ‘Split all four corners of each square by cutting diagonally from the tip of the corner to about halfway towards the centre.’
- ‘When I started staying in hotels I assumed that diagonally sliced toast was some kind of catering affectation.’
- ‘He sped along Bellhouse Road and crossed a mini roundabout diagonally, to the alarm of many pedestrians and motorists.’
- ‘It starts in the upper right corner of a page and runs diagonally to the lower left.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.