One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a diagonal direction.‘now walk diagonally across the field toward a farmhouse’
obliquely, at an angle, crossways, crosswise, on the cross, on the slant, slantwise, aslant, cornerwise, on the biasView synonyms
- ‘Split all four corners of each square by cutting diagonally from the tip of the corner to about halfway towards the centre.’
- ‘It starts in the upper right corner of a page and runs diagonally to the lower left.’
- ‘When I started staying in hotels I assumed that diagonally sliced toast was some kind of catering affectation.’
- ‘He sped along Bellhouse Road and crossed a mini roundabout diagonally, to the alarm of many pedestrians and motorists.’
- ‘She turned around and smiled at Keith who was, as usual, seated diagonally behind her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.