One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In extending the lesson given us through our redactor-as-author to other texts, we can hope to avoid treating certain texts only diachronically or synchronically.’
- ‘The study's argument is shaped diachronically, early versus late Austen, but the contrast is not mechanically developmental.’
- ‘The spatial separation of these informational elements, however, requires that their connection happen diachronically through time rather than synchronically, or at a single point within time.’
- ‘Each can be studied synchronically or diachronically and the order in which they have been dealt with within a grammar has fluctuated over the years.’
- ‘Part of the problem in making extrapolations from these patterns to build a theory is that the relationship between language and social structure may vary considerably, both synchronically and diachronically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.