One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Each can be studied synchronically or diachronically and the order in which they have been dealt with within a grammar has fluctuated over the years.’
- ‘The study's argument is shaped diachronically, early versus late Austen, but the contrast is not mechanically developmental.’
- ‘In extending the lesson given us through our redactor-as-author to other texts, we can hope to avoid treating certain texts only diachronically or synchronically.’
- ‘Part of the problem in making extrapolations from these patterns to build a theory is that the relationship between language and social structure may vary considerably, both synchronically and diachronically.’
- ‘The spatial separation of these informational elements, however, requires that their connection happen diachronically through time rather than synchronically, or at a single point within time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.