Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Hindu and Buddhist practice) profound meditation that is the penultimate stage of yoga.
- ‘As mentioned earlier, Zen meditation has partial roots in dhyana, an altered state of consciousness that originated with yoga.’
- ‘Buddhist art is dhyana, a meditation practiced by monks and artists alike.’
- ‘I have formulated a routine, which consists of asanas, pranayamas (breathing exercises) and dhyana (meditation).’
- ‘And of Rolf, he says, ‘It is not that he pushes his regular students into pranayama, dharana or dhyana after they have mastered the basic asanas.’’
- ‘Clearly we see ample evidence that the ancient seers considered it very important that the mind be cleared and prepared to fully experience dhyana and one of the most powerful tools in preparation for dhyana is mantra and pranayama.’
From Sanskrit dhyāna.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.