One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment worn by male Hindus, consisting of a piece of material tied around the waist and extending to cover most of the legs.
- ‘The students of Saraswati Narayanan College too decided to use the Pongal festival as an opportunity to buy handloom sarees and dhotis for all the students and staff.’
- ‘I was in a rock band, but I didn't have any fear, because I had seen dhotis, your robes, and the saffron color and shaved heads in India.’
- ‘Half the men in India are used to wearing stuff like dhotis or lungis, so what's the big deal?’
- ‘This time, the Yadava Men's College has taken a stride: it will involve over 1,500 of its students, besides hundreds of teaching and non-teaching staff, in selling handloom sarees and dhotis, through 12 outlets in the city.’
- ‘From gorgeous silk saris to plain dhotis, there is a discount on every item at the Hantex showroom.’
- ‘Tamils traditionally wear the dhoti or loincloth.’
- ‘He adopted the dhoti as his usual garb, and his spinning-wheel, which he used daily, became an emblem of his belief in the importance of simplicity.’
- ‘An old man in a white dhoti and shirt comes in, to me he looks thin and a little bent, but otherwise OK.’
- ‘Rajput men wear the dhoti (loincloth consisting of a long piece of white cotton wrapped around the waist and then drawn between the legs and tucked into the waist), often with a cotton tunic.’
- ‘A bearded guy, clad in a white shirt and a white dhoti, preferred to stand and watch the game almost throughout the day - perhaps it was some superstition.’
- ‘Grab sarees, dhotis, polyester printed fabrics, cotton shirts, blouse and petticoat materials at 50 to 70 per cent discount.’
- ‘He is teased at his new school for wearing his traditional loincloth, called a dhoti.’
- ‘Gond men typically wear the dhoti, or loincloth.’
- ‘Men typically wear the dhoti with a kurta.’
- ‘He refused earthly possessions, wearing only a dhoti and shawl of the lowliest Indian, lived as vegetarian and drank only goat's milk.’
- ‘While most of them are attired in colourful T-shirts or track suits, others are dressed in dhotis and shirts.’
- ‘Blackburn's own speciality was the dhoti, the traditional Indian loincloth, many millions of which were shipped over to Bombay and Calcutta.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.