Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Indian dish of meat or vegetables cooked with lentils and cilantro.‘chicken dhansak’
- ‘On days of celebration there are foods such as dhansak, patrani macchi, sali murghi and meat pullao, which have been handed down for generations.’
- ‘And we're not just talking about dhansak, that famous Parsi preparation of brown rice and dal cooked with mutton and served with kachumber (a kind of salad).’
- ‘Just when you think you couldn't possibly see another choice, a new page opens up in the menu, hitting you with dhansak, dupiaza, madras and vindaloo.’
- ‘The most famous Parsi meat dish is dhansak, for which the meat is cooked with lentils, other legumes, and vegetables such as spinach, aubergine, and pumpkin.’
- ‘Fresh Bombay duck in Britannia & Co, an old Parsee restaurant near the docks, is soft and floppy unlike the dried up, salty stuff I remember chewing as a child and the mutton dhansak turns out to be goat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.