One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of the drug amphetamine.See amphetamine
- ‘Flight surgeons may have to use stimulants and sedative medications, such as Dexedrine, Ambien, and Restoril, or other measures to manage fatigue and maintain pilot performance.’
- ‘I mean, he convinced himself he had to have Dexedrine to stay awake.’
- ‘And all the clinical data show that the drug has none of the addictive qualities of amphetamines like Dexedrine.’
- ‘Dextroamphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine, Dextrostat) can sometimes be beneficial for patients with ADHD when methylphenidate is not helpful or is not tolerated.’
- ‘While cramming for exams, she became addicted to the stimulant Dexedrine which kept her awake.’
1940s: probably from dextro-, on the pattern of Benzedrine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.