One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug of the corticosteroid type, used especially as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- ‘The recommended steroid drugs are called dexamethasone and betamethasone.’
- ‘The lack of urethral obstruction after PDT might have been related to the use of the steroid dexamethasone given to suppress the side effects of Cremophor.’
- ‘Your doctor may have you take a medicine called dexamethasone before your blood or urine is collected.’
- ‘Steroids, such as dexamethasone, are often given to reduce the swelling caused by brain tumours.’
- ‘To maximize its anti-inflammatory effect, dexamethasone should be given before, or no more than shortly after, the first antibiotic dose.’
1950s: from dexa- (blend of deca- and hexa-) + meth(yl) + -a- + ( cortis)one.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.