1A rudimentary inner toe present in some dogs.
- ‘If dewclaws are present on your Shih Tzu, trim the dewclaws as well.’
- ‘Don't let the dewclaws go unattended more than a few weeks.’
- ‘One of her dewclaws had slashed diagonally across my forehead, eyebrow, nose, and cheek.’
- ‘Look for the presence of a dewclaw, an extra digit on the paw.’
- ‘On the other hand, every night I take Gnat out of the bath, take her to the big bed for diapering, and EVERY NIGHT my well-turned shin is too much for Jasper to resist, and gawDAMN those dewclaws hurt when they dig in.’
- ‘Apparently not all breeds have a dewclaw and this why the average number of bones in the skeleton varies!’
- 1.1 A false hoof on an animal such as a deer, which is formed by its rudimentary side toes.
paw, forepaw, hind paw, hoof, trotter, padView synonyms
- ‘A fully mature buck (31/2 years old or older) will leave a track measuring 5 to 6 inches from toe tip to the back of the dewclaw (hoof length from 3 to 31/4 inches).’
- ‘Since then Ive seen a countless number of does that have left hoof drag marks and dewclaw prints in the snow.’
Late 16th century: apparently from dew and claw.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.