One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a class of divine beings in the Vedic period, which in Indian religion are benevolent and in Zoroastrianism are evil.Compare with asura
- ‘Nature was perceived to be full of devas and the human being still strongly connected to the world of spirit.’
- ‘Emblazened by his illumination, his ordination as a satguru and the blessings of Gods and devas, Gurudeva contributed to the revival of Hinduism in immeasurable abundance.’
- ‘Similarly, it is typical for bodhisattva statues and those of deva or lesser deities to be polychromed.’
- ‘These elements are said to glow in the inner worlds and, like holy ash, are prominently visible to the Gods and devas.’
- ‘Hindus readily accept as reality transcendental realms of Gods and devas and higher modes of consciousness than that in which we commonly live.’
- ‘Second, they solicit special blessings from the devas and Deities, society and village, family and friends.’
- ‘They strongly declare the validity and importance of temple worship, in the three worlds of existence and the myriad Gods and devas residing in them.’
- ‘Beyond that, there are devas, nagas, higher categories of devas such as Brahma or Shiva, and so on.’
- ‘The asuras demanded their share of the prize, but the devas reneged on their agreement, realizing that if their wicked rivals drank the nectar they would be eternally unbeatable.’
- ‘He was also convinced that Puranic literature relating the stories of Gods and devas was fiction.’
- ‘Such lists ordinarily rank statues and paintings in a canonical hierarchy, beginning with icons of the Buddha class, followed by bodhisattva, deva, and other lesser deities.’
- ‘Invoked by ordained priests through daily puja rituals, the Gods and angelic beings, or devas, in the inner, spiritual worlds are able to bless us through the Deity's image in the temple.’
- ‘Gods, devas, demi-gods, human, animal… these are all part of the Karmic Cycle of Existence called Samsara.’
- ‘Helped by Dorothy - who said she was following guidance from natural angels, or devas - the three started tilling the unpromising sandy and gravely soil and planting vegetables.’
- ‘You have different names for them; elementals, fairies, and devas for example.’
- ‘The last includes mantras and yoga, seeking the guidance of a guru or performing temple ceremonies for the direct blessing and intervention of God, Gods and devas.’
- ‘In a dream back in 1887, Jhummun Giri Gossagne Napal, a temple priest, saw devas, angelic beings, dancing around the lake singing praises to Lord Siva.’
- ‘Thank you for introducing me to my Hindu Gods, my guardian devas and my wonderful Saivite religion.’
- ‘In the Vedic discourse, the cognitive centers are called the devatas or devas - deities or gods, or luminous loci.’
- ‘Some people feel incredibly supported by an invisible community of spirits, devas, ancestors or angels.’
- 1.1Indian (in general use) a god.
- ‘In Eastern traditions, there's the concept of devas.’
- ‘In the god, or deva, realm one is more ‘blissed-out,’ and the pleasure here is more of a sense of meditative absorption, a self-consciousness, a mental state of swelling on one's own ego.’
- ‘The rationale of the exercise was that if man performed the sacrificial rituals correctly, the devas would reciprocate by performing their cosmic function in the most beneficent way.’
- ‘The devas are the gods, beings who live in realms of constant pleasure.’
From Sanskrit, literally ‘shining one’, later ‘god’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.