Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An ornamental shrub with white or pinkish flowers native to Asia and Central America.
- ‘Spring-flowering shrubs include such popular plants as forsythia, deutzia, lilac, viburnum, mock-orange and spirea.’
- ‘She has also mixed in small flowering shrubs like spireas and deutzias.’
- ‘Slender deutzia is an attractive deciduous shrub with a long history as a garden favorite.’
- ‘Lately, deutzia has been as hard to find as a four-leaf clover.’
- ‘These include viburnums, forsythia, spiraea, osmanthus, deutzia, weigela and similar plants.’
- ‘I ordered two deutzias (they have produced lots of flowers, and I pruned them to keep them small on purpose).’
- ‘Fragrant white mock-oranges, deutzias, magnolias, and dogwoods bloom in June.’
- ‘Prune shrubs that have finished flowering, such as flowering currants, kerrias, weigelas, philadelphus and deutzias, by cutting back flowered shoots to a healthy bud.’
- ‘What also has room to grow now are the deutzias.’
- ‘Brooms or Buddleias, cotoneasters, deutzias or euonymus - there are many shrubs available that will suit your garden and climate, so enhance your garden with some shrubs.’
- ‘The borders are filled with a variety of old fashioned roses interspersed with pink deutzias for effect before they flower.’
- ‘Though they have little outward resemblance, deutzias are a member of the hydrangea family.’
- ‘Mostly it is the deciduous spring-flowering deutzias that are seen in gardens - they are an impressive sight when in full bloom, as the masses of flowers smother the plant.’
- ‘Spiræas, syringas, weigelas, and deutzias were also used.’
- ‘Thousands of tulips, pansies and forget-me-nots, together with venerable lilacs, wisteria, spireas and deutzias (many from the 1930s Annette Hoyt Flanders renovation) dominate the spring show of flowers.’
- ‘We have now reached the later days of May, and the deutzias should be planted out in the open ground.’
- ‘Slender deutzia is a dense, rounded, deciduous shrub with slender, broadly spreading to arching stems.’
Modern Latin, named after Johann van der Deutz, 18th-century Dutch patron of botany.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.