Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a compound) in which the ordinary isotope of hydrogen has been replaced with deuterium.
- ‘Quadrupole splittings of the dominant spectral feature were considerably smaller than the value of - 40 kHz expected for deuterated alanine methyl groups on immobilized peptides.’
- ‘They then dissolved the sample in deuterated acetone and filtered it before running the NMR spectra.’
- ‘For 2 H-NMR experiments, each sample contained 10 mg of deuterated lipid.’
- ‘The activation energy is greater and the rate of the reaction is correspondingly less for the deuterated compounds.’
- ‘It must be remembered that the deuterated compounds have a lower Tm than the nondeuterated compounds.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.