One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & nounPhilosophy
- ‘What Epicurus said is that a determinist cannot criticize the doctrine of Free Will because he admits his own criticism is itself determined.’
- ‘Other incompatibilists, hard determinists, have a less optimistic view, holding that determinism is true and that no persons have free will.’
- ‘In speaking of Hume as a determinist, we must, however, bear in mind that this does not in his case carry any pledge of allegiance to a reign of necessity in nature.’
- ‘Thus the choice between a dual aspect theory and a functionalist theory brings with it a choice between sophisticated libertarian and sophisticated determinist conceptions of freedom.’
- ‘This was the issue I was raising with my statement that ‘the Christian Church sometimes understates the determinist viewpoint because it makes such harsh punishments seem more merited.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.