One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & nounPhilosophy
- ‘Thus the choice between a dual aspect theory and a functionalist theory brings with it a choice between sophisticated libertarian and sophisticated determinist conceptions of freedom.’
- ‘Other incompatibilists, hard determinists, have a less optimistic view, holding that determinism is true and that no persons have free will.’
- ‘This was the issue I was raising with my statement that ‘the Christian Church sometimes understates the determinist viewpoint because it makes such harsh punishments seem more merited.’’
- ‘What Epicurus said is that a determinist cannot criticize the doctrine of Free Will because he admits his own criticism is itself determined.’
- ‘In speaking of Hume as a determinist, we must, however, bear in mind that this does not in his case carry any pledge of allegiance to a reign of necessity in nature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.