One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The doctrine that all events, including human action, are ultimately determined by causes external to the will. Some philosophers have taken determinism to imply that individual human beings have no free will and cannot be held morally responsible for their actions.
- ‘So, would you like to go again on your attempt to explain why you think I was wrong to call you on this, or do you want to talk about free will and determinism?’
- ‘His system admits no contradiction between free will and determinism, the God of philosophy and that of the Quran.’
- ‘Such a view reconciles free will not with determinism but with the highly plausible thesis of universal event causation.’
- ‘Compatibilist philosophies seek to reconcile free will and determinism in a modern time.’
- ‘Conferences of philosophers on determinism and freedom aren't the same as they used to be.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.