One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Causing something to occur or be done in a particular way; serving to decide something.‘money may have been the determining factor in his decision’
- ‘The determining factors, rather, are economic opportunities, or people's hopes that they will find better economic opportunities than in the places they leave.’
- ‘Instead, researchers found that cardiovascular fitness was more of a determining factor in every category except ankle sprain.’
- ‘In addition, we wished to see if there were local effects that would influence the susceptibility of a gene to this type of gene silencing or whether distance would be the only determining factor.’
- ‘We show that mode of selection, degree of dominance of mutations, and ploidy are determining factors in the evolution of resistance to the antifungal drug fluconazole in yeast.’
- ‘The control issue is, however, the determining factor.’
- ‘In a world of pre-IPOs and Internet start-ups, what do you feel is the determining factor for retaining employees, and more specific, retaining web designers?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.