One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Causing something to occur or be done in a particular way; serving to decide something.‘money may have been the determining factor in his decision’
- ‘In a world of pre-IPOs and Internet start-ups, what do you feel is the determining factor for retaining employees, and more specific, retaining web designers?’
- ‘The control issue is, however, the determining factor.’
- ‘We show that mode of selection, degree of dominance of mutations, and ploidy are determining factors in the evolution of resistance to the antifungal drug fluconazole in yeast.’
- ‘The determining factors, rather, are economic opportunities, or people's hopes that they will find better economic opportunities than in the places they leave.’
- ‘In addition, we wished to see if there were local effects that would influence the susceptibility of a gene to this type of gene silencing or whether distance would be the only determining factor.’
- ‘Instead, researchers found that cardiovascular fitness was more of a determining factor in every category except ankle sprain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.