Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Small, decorative features on a building, garment, or work of art.
enumeration, list, litany, catalogue, listing, detailing, itemizing, specificationView synonyms
- ‘Generally the building's detailing is more robust than iconic modernity's light handling.’
- ‘New styles feature more feminine detailing and include new knit shirts, wovens and jackets.’
- ‘Traditional lead detailing is in line with the high standard of building materials used.’
- ‘Unfortunately, this feature, together with poor detailing to the windows and the use of ferrous rods as wall ties, has led to structural problems due to water penetration.’
- ‘The detailing of the building continues this fine balance.’
- ‘The delicate detailing in the soft stone building below in Back Bay, on an exposed street corner, has been progressively rubbed out by the notoriously rough winters.’
- ‘There are some very interesting period features, including some uniquely ornate detailing.’
- ‘That the building is also able to demonstrate a level of intimate detailing makes the project even more special.’
- ‘Everyday jeans should also feature minimal detailing.’
- ‘Smirke took a rectangular block and added a hint of classical detailing, such as columns and window mouldings.’
- ‘The building's Victorian detailing was evidence of the considerable profits Gillies had made from the factory he erected in 1867, providing nets for the booming herring industry.’
- ‘And the taligate window has some nice detailing that is practical in visibility terms too.’
- ‘To this end, a scale is often included in architectural schema, and it is not uncommon to find two or even three alternatives in the decorative detailing of designs for furniture and ornament.’
- ‘They would restore the familiar and now beloved silhouette to the skyline, but would have different detailing and updated safety features.’
- ‘Analyses like this should inform more effective detailing of buildings.’
- ‘The tailoring is classic and structured and the subtle pinstripes and tonal coloured checks feature soft detailing.’
- ‘The subsequent eggs feature much more ornate detailing.’
- ‘In most cases, however, problems are - at least in part - associated with poor detailing of masonry.’
- ‘With its bold form and concrete detailing, the Pirelli Building has become an icon of modern architecture.’
- ‘Pillows that are decorative can also add a variety of interesting detailing and texture to a room.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.