One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decomposition of a solid by heating it in a closed container and collecting the volatile constituents given off.
- ‘I used to know this as destructive distillation of coal, but I believe there is a more modern term.’
- ‘Artificial ‘smoke’ flavouring is made by the destructive distillation of wood.’
- ‘It can be obtained by the destructive distillation of wood, and can also be produced from acetylene and water using an oxidation process with air.’
- ‘It was originally produced by the destructive distillation of wood.’
- ‘Historically acetone was prepared by the destructive distillation of wood, followed by fractional distillation of the product.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.