Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Decomposition of a solid by heating it in a closed container and collecting the volatile constituents given off.
- ‘Artificial ‘smoke’ flavouring is made by the destructive distillation of wood.’
- ‘It can be obtained by the destructive distillation of wood, and can also be produced from acetylene and water using an oxidation process with air.’
- ‘It was originally produced by the destructive distillation of wood.’
- ‘I used to know this as destructive distillation of coal, but I believe there is a more modern term.’
- ‘Historically acetone was prepared by the destructive distillation of wood, followed by fractional distillation of the product.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.