Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Selectively remove stain from (a specimen for microscopy, a chromatography gel, etc.) after it has previously been stained.
- ‘We stained the gels in 0.1% Coomassie blue for 1 h and destained them in a 40% methanol and 10% acetic acid solution overnight.’
- ‘The gel was stained with ethidium bromide for 30 min and subsequently destained for 3 hr.’
- ‘Papanicolaou staining and destaining do not interfere with indirect IS-PCR for HPV DNA detection.’
- ‘The gels were stained with Coomassie blue, destained, and dried, then analyzed by autoradiography overnight at - 80 deg C.’
- ‘Gels were stained in ethidium bromide, destained in water, and photographed over a UV transilluminator.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.