One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of despoiling or the condition of being despoiled; plunder.‘the despoliation of the resources of the natural world’
devastation, destruction, ruin, ruination, ravaging, vandalism, depredation, despoilmentView synonyms
- ‘He balances his outrage with the sad reflection that there's nothing new under the sun; that exploitation and despoliation are as old as humanity itself.’
- ‘Fixed lines contribute to the despoliation of our mountains.’
- ‘It lists noise pollution, environmental despoliation, training accidents that damage property and a stunting of urban and industrial development as reasons to object to their presence.’
- ‘The despoliation of the Galician coastline raises fundamental issues which must be urgently addressed.’
- ‘In the earlier films humans had been punished for their ambition, but in this later phase of worst-case dramas the planet had a more solid motivation for hitting back: our despoliation of the planet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.