Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Showing the loss of all hope.‘he gave a despairing little shrug’
- ‘From this despairing state Wittgenstein was rescued by two developments.’
- ‘On his way to Damascus, Maritain was knocked off his despairing pretensions and turned toward sainthood.’
- ‘Some people have given up and reached various despairing conclusions.’
- ‘It is a bleak, despairing admission.’
- ‘The adventure had a final despairing twist.’
- ‘Dada took its momentum from this fractured, despairing kind of environment.’
- ‘About three of their forwards scrambled the ball past our despairing goalie.’
- ‘Ironically, the despairing quest of the Solitary has been validated by her Companion.’
- ‘Coady creates grace in even the most despairing moments.’
- ‘She gave no answer to my reproaches, save to gaze at me with a sort of wild, despairing look in her eyes.’
- ‘I hear a collective gasp of anguish and witness a row of black-haired heads drop into despairing hands.’
- ‘This is a darker, more despairing film than the other two.’
- ‘His despairing family thought that he had ceased to live.’
- ‘Politicians have been warned repeatedly that overpopulated prisons cannot deal adequately with depressed, despairing inmates.’
- ‘In such a despairing context, what is the young Palestinian to do?’
- ‘Upon waking, he realized he was in the same frustrated and despairing state once again.’
- ‘It is now time for local and central government to listen to its despairing critics.’
- ‘Who would present this groundbreaking initiative to a despairing public?’
- ‘Charlie collapsed in a chair, giving a despairing little sigh.’
- ‘Something earth-shaking must have transformed the despairing disciples.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.