One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a type of fibrous tumor of muscle and connective tissue, typically in the abdomen.
- ‘Desmoplastic fibroma may also resemble the desmoid tumor of soft tissue when the latter infiltrates bone.’
- ‘In one fragment, skeletal muscle appeared to be infiltrated by this process, consistent with that seen in desmoid tumor.’
- ‘In general, however, desmoid tumors are richer in collagen fibers and less cellular than IMTs, and, in addition, numerous inflammatory cells are unusual features in the desmoid tumors.’
- ‘Also important are aggressive desmoid disease and other rare malignant disease.’
- ‘In the first part of the study, BMPs were found in both fibrous dysplasia and desmoid tumors.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek desmos ‘bond’ or desmē ‘bundle’ + -oid.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.