One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The production of printed matter by means of a printer linked to a desktop computer, with special software. The system enables reports, advertising matter, company magazines, etc., to be produced cheaply with a layout and print quality similar to that of typeset books, for xerographic or other reproduction.
- ‘We see this especially in places like graphics departments, desktop publishing, and people doing animation.’
- ‘If desktop publishing, layout, and word processor magic are not your strengths, then by all means get the help of a friend who is good in these areas.’
- ‘The journal has all the style of a 13 year old's first attempt with the school's desktop publishing software.’
- ‘The latest programs are easier than ever and are similar in complexity to a word processor or low-end desktop publishing program.’
- ‘These together make up an excellent foundation for anyone trying to get involved with computer graphics or desktop publishing.’
- ‘But in this sense e-books are difficult to distinguish from all other electronic texts, like those created in word processors and desktop publishing programs.’
- ‘Children collect and write their own stories, take digital photographs and use desktop publishing to produce the magazine.’
- ‘Are there any plans for an article or two on the state of desktop publishing software and production on Linux?’
- ‘Included are such topics as data storage, desktop publishing, portfolios, publishing, emailing and Web sites.’
- ‘From databases to desktop publishing to disk de-fraggers, there is a tool out there that can make running a business less of a grind.’
- ‘Back in the dim dark days of the desktop computer's evolution, desktop publishing was one of the ‘big things’ that, it was claimed, helped drive sales of Macs and PCs alike.’
- ‘This was in the late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and Polaroid cameras.’
- ‘Once you've built a collection, desktop publishing software can be used to transfer it onto a compact disc.’
- ‘Word processing has become synonymous with desktop publishing, and now it's moved into the new territory of the Web.’
- ‘The young women are trained in basic information-technology skills such as data entry, desktop publishing, accounting, office software and teleworking.’
- ‘The items listed above are invariably composed in a word processing program or desktop publishing package.’
- ‘Not only are our products used in computer gaming, they are equally efficient for many other applications such as digital animation, desktop publishing and more.’
- ‘The driver has some interesting settings which should be of use for page layout and desktop publishing applications.’
- ‘Just as desktop publishing had enabled anyone to become a printer, the Web would allow anyone to become a publisher.’
- ‘Now he is fully competent in using spreadsheets, database, desktop publishing and the internet, and has achieved a number of qualifications, including City and Guilds Level 1.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.