Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being desirable.‘we agree on the desirability of a negotiated settlement’
sexual attractiveness, sexual attraction, attractiveness, beauty, handsomeness, good looksappeal, attractiveness, allureadvisability, preferableness, advantage, expedience, benefit, merit, value, profit, profitabilityView synonyms
- ‘The desirability of living in the countryside has pushed rural house prices way beyond the reach of many agricultural workers, he says.’
- ‘Those older, heading irreversibly away from their peak, can feel for some time that they are still in the rough vicinity of desirability.’
- ‘There is an unequivocal denial of the possibility or the desirability of universal values, ambitions or aspiration.’
- ‘How much are our senses trained socially to respond to specific aspects of human beauty and desirability?’
- ‘Again, this reduces transport costs and increases the desirability of behaving in a transport efficient manner.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.