Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Acting in a calculating, deceitful way.‘she was a designing little minx’
scheming, calculating, conniving, plotting, intriguing, conspiringcunning, crafty, artful, wily, devious, guileful, canny, shrewd, astute, sharp, insidious, manipulativetreacherous, sly, underhand, deceitful, dishonest, machiavellian, double-dealing, trickycrooked, foxyView synonyms
- ‘She is a weak, unintelligent girl; he a strong, cunning, and designing man.’
- ‘It is not conjured up by cunning and designing men.’
- ‘Without such a check, the press, in the hands of evil and designing men, would become a most formidable engine, and as mighty for mischief as for good.’
- ‘The second is artful, cunning, and designing; shielding the rich man from the possibility of being entrapped, and affecting at the same time, to have a tender and scrupulous regard, for the interests of the whole community.’
- ‘Although good ethics exist in the profession of law, nevertheless the profession is not without the unscrupulous cunning, and designing fellow members.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.