Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Acting in a calculating, deceitful way.‘she was a designing little minx’
scheming, calculating, conniving, plotting, intriguing, conspiringcunning, crafty, artful, wily, devious, guileful, canny, shrewd, astute, sharp, insidious, manipulativetreacherous, sly, underhand, deceitful, dishonest, machiavellian, double-dealing, trickycrooked, foxyView synonyms
- ‘She is a weak, unintelligent girl; he a strong, cunning, and designing man.’
- ‘Although good ethics exist in the profession of law, nevertheless the profession is not without the unscrupulous cunning, and designing fellow members.’
- ‘The second is artful, cunning, and designing; shielding the rich man from the possibility of being entrapped, and affecting at the same time, to have a tender and scrupulous regard, for the interests of the whole community.’
- ‘Without such a check, the press, in the hands of evil and designing men, would become a most formidable engine, and as mighty for mischief as for good.’
- ‘It is not conjured up by cunning and designing men.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.