One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Acting in a calculating, deceitful way.‘she was a designing little minx’
scheming, calculating, conniving, plotting, intriguing, conspiringView synonyms
- ‘Without such a check, the press, in the hands of evil and designing men, would become a most formidable engine, and as mighty for mischief as for good.’
- ‘She is a weak, unintelligent girl; he a strong, cunning, and designing man.’
- ‘The second is artful, cunning, and designing; shielding the rich man from the possibility of being entrapped, and affecting at the same time, to have a tender and scrupulous regard, for the interests of the whole community.’
- ‘Although good ethics exist in the profession of law, nevertheless the profession is not without the unscrupulous cunning, and designing fellow members.’
- ‘It is not conjured up by cunning and designing men.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.