Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who has been designated.
- ‘It was designated and returned to the designees.’
- ‘On a case-by-case basis, the Special Agent in Charge or their designee may grant exceptions to the directive and this policy.’
- ‘Attending physicians or their designee also will speak with the patient or family members about injuries resulting from adverse events.’
- ‘The examination is proctored and administered by the fellowship director or designee at program sites.’
- ‘If the coach, or his designee, doesn't take the time to promote the program, no one will.’
- ‘Before surgery and for three days postoperatively, the principle investigator or designee performed skin assessments observing for pressure ulcer incidence.’
- ‘In typical modest fashion, we would have never known about this honor if her mother, as a prior recipient, didn't receive a list of this years designees.’
- ‘Thereafter, the time will rotate every 60 minutes between the two Leaders or their designees until 4: 00 p.m.’
- ‘A designee may pick up an absentee ballot for a voter on election day or 4 days before election day.’
- ‘When your instructor thinks you're ready, he will make arrangements for you to take a check ride with a flight examiner from the FAA or one of its designees.’
- ‘Physicians and hospitals unwilling or unable to provide - or withhold - care according to a patient or his designee's instructions can choose to stop treatment.’
- ‘Most caucus designees in the state are already committed to other candidates.’
- ‘The two designees for the eight races will be named at the post-position draw on October 23.’
- ‘The instructions asked that the superintendent or designee complete and return the survey.’
- ‘For example, can a resident or other designee perform this task when delegated to do so by the surgeon?’
- ‘If so, the applicant will be interviewed by the facility's manager or a hiring designee.’
- ‘Monitors are selected by and report to the sponsor or the sponsor's designee.’
- ‘The general secretary or designee may take whatever steps are deemed necessary to effect a resolution of the complaint, which may include assisting in the resolution of the complaint at the chapter or conference level.’
- ‘A health care facility's senior manager or other designee decides when to initiate the emergency response plan.’
- ‘The two faculty members identified their respective designees to serve on the panel; the administration selected one person to serve as its designee for both panels.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.