One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a group who abstains from alcohol in order to drive the others safely.
- ‘Are you playing the designated driver tonight?’
- ‘Some general decrease in per capita alcohol consumption and the use of designated drivers has helped.’
- ‘Even if we try our best to behave, we'll still need a designated driver, and who else can we ask?’
- ‘This year's drink driving campaign includes a reward for designated drivers who have volunteered to provide a safe journey home.’
- ‘Offer a variety of non-alcoholic beverages for the designated driver and others who prefer not to drink alcohol.’
- ‘They've come up with a party guide that includes alcohol-free drink recipes for designated drivers, special coasters and red ribbons you can put on your drive as a pledge to drive safe and sober.’
- ‘Auto marketers could issue weekend test drives to household influencers - or perhaps to designated drivers.’
- ‘The drinkers must agree to support the designated driver in abstaining from alcohol.’
- ‘Bailey can be the designated driver since she's the only underage driver.’
- ‘We are saying do not drink and drive, get a designated driver or sleep it off.’
- ‘Blaine and Claire had been selected as the designated drivers, and were hard at work figuring out how to properly operate one of the most advanced vehicles ever built.’
- ‘Finally, she created a group staff Designated Driver Program, acquiring volunteer designated drivers, thus increasing the probability of a safe return home for all members.’
- ‘Save the extra driver cost by choosing a designated driver.’
- ‘Kara and Janet were only there as designated drivers, they usually popped around when they had thought their husbands would be needing a lift home.’
- ‘Does that mean that I'll have to be the designated driver?’
- ‘As a non-drinking male, I discovered a very easy way to meet non-drinking females in a drinking environment: Volunteer to be the designated driver whenever possible.’
- ‘When you go out and drink, have a designated driver.’
- ‘Operators also seem to benefit from the opportunity to sample a years' worth of spirits in an evening, although some might want to arrange designated drivers.’
- ‘They had been at a party, then went on a beer run while the designated drivers were taking people home.’
- ‘Unit members selflessly volunteered numerous off-duty hours as dispatchers and designated drivers for the base Airmen Against Drinking and Driving program.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.