Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A glass container or other apparatus holding a drying agent for removing moisture from specimens and protecting them from water vapor in the air.
- ‘Prior to radiation treatments, seed moisture was equilibrated to 12.5% in an airtight desiccator with a solution of 60% glycerol for 5 days.’
- ‘The resuspended pellets were placed into 35 mm petri-dishes and then sealed in a desiccator over silica-gel at 30°C for 58 days.’
- ‘Treatment of tissue samples with the mineral oil/paraffin mixture and the 4 final impregnation steps were carried out in a large desiccator resting in a glycerin bath.’
- ‘The supernatant was discarded and the pellets were dried in a desiccator over silica gel for 24 h and then extracted for the various assays.’
- ‘These treated slides were placed in a vacuum desiccator for 12 h to remove all traces of chloroform.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.