One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glass container or other apparatus holding a drying agent for removing moisture from specimens and protecting them from water vapor in the air.
- ‘The resuspended pellets were placed into 35 mm petri-dishes and then sealed in a desiccator over silica-gel at 30°C for 58 days.’
- ‘Prior to radiation treatments, seed moisture was equilibrated to 12.5% in an airtight desiccator with a solution of 60% glycerol for 5 days.’
- ‘These treated slides were placed in a vacuum desiccator for 12 h to remove all traces of chloroform.’
- ‘The supernatant was discarded and the pellets were dried in a desiccator over silica gel for 24 h and then extracted for the various assays.’
- ‘Treatment of tissue samples with the mineral oil/paraffin mixture and the 4 final impregnation steps were carried out in a large desiccator resting in a glycerin bath.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.