One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hygroscopic substance used as a drying agent.
- ‘However, desiccants contain chemical agents that may be toxic to children, pets, and the chemically sensitive.’
- ‘One ingredient found in almost all tablet or capsule containers is a desiccant - cotton batten or a small canister containing a harmless, water-absorbing compound.’
- ‘Silica gel isn't a true gel, but a granulated chemical desiccant composed partly of silicon.’
- ‘Anhydrous sodium hydroxide is another common laboratory desiccant, or substance that removes water.’
- ‘Unlike cooling-based dehumidifiers, which cool the air to condense moisture, desiccants attract moisture molecules directly from the air and release them into an exhaust air stream.’
Late 17th century: from Latin desiccant- ‘making thoroughly dry’, from the verb desiccare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.