One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It's just like an ordinary cruise except you have desi food, desi entertainment and DJs.’
- ‘Some continue to grow desi or local cotton, but these are a minority.’
- ‘In Southall or in San Francisco, New York or in New Mexico, it is the desi films borrowed from the local grocery store that teach us not only how to cry, but also, in fact, how to be Indian.’
- ‘In Bangladesh, many prefer deshi chicken to foreign varieties breaded in firms.’
- ‘Local vendors, desi restaurants and fast food joints have kept the flavour of old Gandhi Bazaar alive, but adding that extra zing are modern shops and stores, inviting the young and old alike.’
- 1.1derogatory Rustic; unsophisticated.
- ‘"And the Indian consumer is smart he is not averse to global brands, but nor is he going to be swayed by very desi, rustic images and change his mind."’
- ‘The problem is when the chatterati prefers a suave, polished and TVgenic dictator over a rustic politician and berates the unsophisticated desi.’
2Unadulterated or pure.‘desi ghee’
- ‘We will have to reduce our share of desi ghee, butter, parathas, gajar ka halwa, butter chicken, puris and the recent trend of eating junk food.’
- ‘Start living healthy with our dairy products such as white butter, desi ghee which are not only high in nutrients but also pamper your taste buds.’
- ‘But with the lack of physical activity in the recent years coupled with intake of diet devoid of fibre such as chappaties and other snack foods made from flour of decorticated foodgrains, consumption of desi ghee started raising total cholesterol levels.’
- ‘Those who bring desi ghee from home for their kulcha get a discount of three rupees, I was told.’
A person of Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi birth or descent who lives abroad.
- ‘In this era of desis (Indian expatriates living overseas) and globalized outsourcing, the subcontinent is more hip to homosexuality than it would seem at first glance.’
- ‘In 1990 he says that only five or ten Indian businesses catered to the almost 8.000 desis in Middlesex.’
- ‘Her job entails fighting for the rights of over 3,000 taxi drivers, the majority of them desis, that is from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, who are members of the Alliance.’
- ‘For Indian readers, a caveat - there were no desis on the list of regional winners this year, which isn't surprising.’
- ‘There are some 2.5 million desis in the U.S., and the vast majority are Indian.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit deśa ‘country, land’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.