Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Deprive (someone) of sexual qualities or attraction.‘they turned into folksy elder statesmen, sagacious but desexed’
- ‘We wander through the ordinary course of days as persons, desexed, androgynous, and it is in the sexual act in which we receive reassurance that we are not persons, after all, but men and women.’
- ‘However, this misconception serves to desex women by denying them their right to freedom of sexual expression.’
- ‘The arguments used to justify women's equality in the marketplace left feminists open to the charge that female emancipation would desex women.’
- ‘Pioneering women do traditionally desex themselves by resembling honorary men.’
- ‘Straightening up history's heroes, desexing literature's love stories, Hollywood is making gay movies-without the ‘gay’’
2Castrate or spay (an animal)‘the Royal Humane Society offered to desex the cat’
castrate, neuter, geld, cut, emasculateView synonyms
- ‘But there's three females here and one desexed male.’
- ‘Isn't it funny how there's this huge encouragement for people to have pets, but there's an even bigger encouragement for them to be desexed.’
- ‘There is also a small domestic market of similarly desexed animals.’
- ‘Puppies must have very large feet and not be housebroken, and no pet should be desexed.’
- ‘For $150 the dog is yours, desexed, vaccinated and implanted with a small chip to help find it should the dog wander off again.’
- ‘In an effort to calm Aubie down, we had him desexed.’
- ‘Samantha has been desexed, microchipped, vaccinated, wormed, health checked and temperament tested.’
- ‘But I had to desex mine, worm him, and I pay for his vet bills.’
- ‘He's a desexed male border collie x german shepherd.’
- ‘All the cats are desexed, vaccinated and wormed, and they make a great companion for a family or for someone living alone.’
- ‘Please, it is our turn to repay these animals, desex your pet and save lives.’
- ‘Clearly, companion animal owners need to be educated and supported by the community to ensure that facilities and services encourage them to own their pets in a responsible manner, especially when it comes to desexing.’
- ‘I think that the other cat is not desexed so he is still feisty and looking for fights.’
- ‘Maggie is $165 which includes desexing, microchipping, first vaccination, heartworm, flea and worm treatment.’
- ‘I returned two days later, after the desexing operation, and brought home my shy, quiet cat.’
- ‘Being a responsible pet owner is not a hard thing to do - desex your pets (both male and female).’
- ‘In nine months, we desexed 137 dogs, so I think it was 57 bitches and about 80 male dogs.’
- ‘He is a desexed, healthy, attractive cat, but definitely scared of people he doesn't know.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.