2A soldier of the 7th British armored division (with the jerboa as a badge) in the North African desert campaign of 1941–42.
- ‘It is interesting to note that we are about to celebrate the end of the war in 1945 in which our member spent five years as a desert rat defending democracy, only to be troubled by louts at the age of 83.’
- ‘The former desert rat was being forced to give up his home help support after the weekly cost more than trebled.’
- ‘He was a Desert Rat and often spoke of his experiences in the desert and at Mont Cassino.’
- ‘He was a Desert Rat in World War II and various anecdotes are made about this throughout the show, such as his life being saved by a mess-tin and saving a man's life with a tablespoon.’
- ‘He was a desert rat with the 8th Army in North Africa and then a Chindit behind Japanese lines in Burma.’