One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
2A soldier of the 7th British armored division (with the jerboa as a badge) in the North African desert campaign of 1941–42.
- ‘He was a desert rat with the 8th Army in North Africa and then a Chindit behind Japanese lines in Burma.’
- ‘The former desert rat was being forced to give up his home help support after the weekly cost more than trebled.’
- ‘It is interesting to note that we are about to celebrate the end of the war in 1945 in which our member spent five years as a desert rat defending democracy, only to be troubled by louts at the age of 83.’
- ‘He was a Desert Rat in World War II and various anecdotes are made about this throughout the show, such as his life being saved by a mess-tin and saving a man's life with a tablespoon.’
- ‘He was a Desert Rat and often spoke of his experiences in the desert and at Mont Cassino.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.