One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A remote uninhabited tropical island.
- ‘If we were to be castaways on a desert island, these are the goods we would pack by the caseload.’
- ‘Due to some unforeseen plot machination, your character is washed up on the beach of a tropical desert island.’
- ‘I liked to play pirate games back then, sailing the rolling main, fighting bad people, sinking their ships, and burying my treasure under palm trees on desert islands.’
- ‘But hurry, they won't be forever deserted desert islands.’
- ‘Today, it is practically unknown to outsiders, a remote marine wilderness teeming with undersea life and dotted with day-dreamy desert islands.’
- ‘By then the atoll's two desert islands had been planted with grass and ironwoods on soil imported from Guam.’
- ‘I feel like growling, packing a bag and heading for a remote desert island where only the wind bothers to whisper.’
- ‘A poor Jamaican fisherman was shipwrecked on a desert island.’
- ‘If I had to take only two albums to a desert island with me, this would be the one I choose without even giving it a second thought.’
- ‘Who would you like to be stranded on a desert island with?’
- ‘If you had to select and take one instrument to accompany the rest of your life on a desert island, only one instrument, what would it be?’
- ‘I think on a desert island the river journey would be even more evocative.’
- ‘This means that paddling a kayak around desert islands during the day and camping amongst the cactus at night is easy.’
- ‘Most of us carry a store of memories and hopes of beach life, from rock pools and sandcastles to romantic encounters walking along the silver sands on a desert island.’
- ‘What would be your three desert island essentials?’
- ‘Imagine, for the sake of argument, that you have been stranded on a desert island, a veritable tropical paradise.’
- ‘If you were stranded on a desert island, which five items would you chose to have with you?’
- ‘Its story of a group of schoolboys stranded on a desert island after an aeroplane crash who descend into savagery still has the power to shock and enthral.’
- ‘Which literary character would you least like to be stranded on a desert island with and why?’
- ‘If I got marooned on a desert island I'd be barking mad within three days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.