One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lightweight boot with the upper made from suede.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘The tall, dark-haired fisherwoman had then taken off in the direction of the hulk of rotting wood and rusting steel, the soles of her sand-coloured desert boots sending up a liberal spray of grey, choking dust.’
- ‘Then she proceeded to remove her black desert boots, which she found filled with grains of sand.’
- ‘He was 19 and wore a leather cap, blue jeans and well-worn desert boots.’
- ‘The review also acknowledged serious problems with the supply of equipment to troops in the front line, including uniforms, body armour and desert boots.’
- ‘Streets become flooded by blocked or non-existent drainage and many of the Dukes have donned their black Goretex boots to combat the mud, casting aside their light sandy coloured desert boots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.