Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Turn off (a selected feature) on a list of options on a computer menu.
- ‘My own preference is to leave this option deselected.’
- ‘The effect palette allows you to quickly select and deselect color controls like levels, brightness, and curves, which helps you avoid retracing steps to make color changes.’
- ‘These devices can be selected or deselected if you want them to be seen.’
- ‘Alternatively, let me deselect particular sections - in my case sport, crosswords, entertainment, all the ‘home and living’ stuff - then routinely send me the rest.’
- ‘The dual display saves time and effort, eliminating much of the selecting, deselecting, maximizing, minimizing, opening and closing of programs.’
- ‘Selecting or deselecting class names in the Tree pane will modify the members shown in the member's list.’
- ‘The ability to select and deselect the files from the preview menu was hardly friendly, and I was initially left quite discouraged.’
- ‘It takes only a long click on the application icon then selecting / deselecting the run-in compatibility mode icon to give it a try.’
- ‘In most cases, this preference is as simple as deselecting the ‘burn on the fly’ option in most CD recording applications.’
- ‘The first thing to do, since we won't be doing video editing, is deselect the Record buttons on the two audio channels and click Delete Tracks in the Tracks menu.’
- ‘Core packages must be installed and cannot be deselected.’
- ‘Try to center it as well as possible, but don't deselect it.’
- ‘Configure the category simply by selecting or deselecting check boxes.’
- ‘To get the configuration dialog for the sound card, demo mode has to be deselected.’
- ‘After you've filled your text, you can either create the shadow effect or ‘right click’ on your mouse to deselect your text.’
- ‘But fortunately this time round I deselected the ‘don't ask on start-up’ option, which appears on the initial start up.’
- ‘The program counted errors when either an illegal move was made or when a participant selected and then deselected a ball.’
- ‘With the number of toolbars installed by default, you're never far away from a search box, though you can calm this down a little by right-clicking and deselecting individual toolbars if you find yourself crowded out.’
- ‘I firmly believe in taking the custom route, deselect any options that you don't think you need and only select those that you do.’
- ‘Now go back to the Layers dialog, select the Red channel and deselect the Green.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.