Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Turn off (a selected feature) on a list of options on a computer menu.
- ‘The ability to select and deselect the files from the preview menu was hardly friendly, and I was initially left quite discouraged.’
- ‘Alternatively, let me deselect particular sections - in my case sport, crosswords, entertainment, all the ‘home and living’ stuff - then routinely send me the rest.’
- ‘The program counted errors when either an illegal move was made or when a participant selected and then deselected a ball.’
- ‘In most cases, this preference is as simple as deselecting the ‘burn on the fly’ option in most CD recording applications.’
- ‘Now go back to the Layers dialog, select the Red channel and deselect the Green.’
- ‘Core packages must be installed and cannot be deselected.’
- ‘Try to center it as well as possible, but don't deselect it.’
- ‘After you've filled your text, you can either create the shadow effect or ‘right click’ on your mouse to deselect your text.’
- ‘Configure the category simply by selecting or deselecting check boxes.’
- ‘With the number of toolbars installed by default, you're never far away from a search box, though you can calm this down a little by right-clicking and deselecting individual toolbars if you find yourself crowded out.’
- ‘Selecting or deselecting class names in the Tree pane will modify the members shown in the member's list.’
- ‘I firmly believe in taking the custom route, deselect any options that you don't think you need and only select those that you do.’
- ‘It takes only a long click on the application icon then selecting / deselecting the run-in compatibility mode icon to give it a try.’
- ‘But fortunately this time round I deselected the ‘don't ask on start-up’ option, which appears on the initial start up.’
- ‘My own preference is to leave this option deselected.’
- ‘The dual display saves time and effort, eliminating much of the selecting, deselecting, maximizing, minimizing, opening and closing of programs.’
- ‘These devices can be selected or deselected if you want them to be seen.’
- ‘The first thing to do, since we won't be doing video editing, is deselect the Record buttons on the two audio channels and click Delete Tracks in the Tracks menu.’
- ‘To get the configuration dialog for the sound card, demo mode has to be deselected.’
- ‘The effect palette allows you to quickly select and deselect color controls like levels, brightness, and curves, which helps you avoid retracing steps to make color changes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.