Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove the seeds from (a plant, vegetable, or fruit)
- ‘Then seeds were removed and seeds and deseeded berries were weighed either immediately or after drying them at 105°C in a forced-air oven to constant weight.’
- ‘Just flavour 150 ml classic vinaigrette with one chopped and deseeded red chilli, one finely chopped lemongrass stalk and a squeeze of lemon juice.’
- ‘Peel and deseed the cucumber and cut into small dice also.’
- ‘I chopped about 500g of fresh conch meat into roughly cm cubes, to which I added, all finely chopped, a small onion, two large tomatoes, deseeded, a sweet red pepper and about 10 cm of cucumber.’
- ‘Before the extraction of RNA and flavour compounds, samples were deseeded and powdered under liquid nitrogen using a blender.’
- ‘He gives us permission to say, firmly, when confronted with an authoritative instruction to deseed several kilos of cherry tomatoes, ‘No, I Won't Do That.’’
- ‘Air dry the quartered and deseeded tomatoes in the oven overnight, leaving the oven switched off.’
- ‘You can eat them raw in salads when they're young, or deseed and stir-fry/bake the older ones.’
- ‘Meanwhile, peel, deseed and finely chop the squash.’
- ‘The passata came from tomatoes grown in my mother's garden in the South of France, laboriously boiled, peeled and deseeded.’
- ‘Traditional practices of cultivation and storage (grains are not deseeded but kept on the stalk to prevent spoilage), reduced the impact of the recurring droughts on food intake.’
- ‘Remove stems, wash, and slit, deseed and finely chop the chilli (use disposable gloves).’
- ‘Like several other children in the village, she used to work almost 12 hours a day - from dawn to dusk - in the cotton-fields, hand pollinating and deseeding cotton.’
- ‘That's a key advantage over Muscat of Alexandria, which has to be mechanically deseeded - resulting in sticky, damaged raisins.’
- ‘Halve and deseed the peppers and place, with rounded sides uppermost, under a preheated grill until the skins blacken.’
- ‘Add 1 cup hot water to the chopped and deseeded dates and grind when cold.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.