The part of the large intestine that passes downward on the left side of the abdomen toward the rectum.
- ‘On palpation of the abdomen I found the descending colon very tender, as well as the epigastric region.’
- ‘The inferior artery also gave rise to two branches: one to the inferior portion of the descending colon and the other to the sigmoid colon and rectum.’
- ‘The descending colon is structurally similar to the transverse colon.’
- ‘Tumors in the descending colon comprise 5% of primary colorectal cancers.’
- ‘The colon is divided into four parts: the ascending colon, the transverse colon, the descending colon, and the sigmoid colon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.