One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Euphemistic term for a person's buttocks.
buttocks, behind, backside, rear, rear end, seat, haunches, cheeksView synonyms
- ‘The rest of the town were all middle to lower class people who worked their derrières off.’
- ‘Hence our advice and New Year's resolution: Cover your derrières.’
- ‘Unfortunately the sizes are small, smaller and smallest so I have to do a lot of size altering as I'm a woman blessed with a wide derrière and ample chests.’
- ‘They just wanted to hear the detailed dimensions of her derrière.’
- ‘So I plonked my cynical derrière on a comfy sofa, and awaited the coming encounter.’
- ‘Over-excited Eurosceptics accuse the team of protecting their own well-cushioned derrières.’
- ‘Kiara's back was towards him, so he could not see her facial expression, but he did get a wonderful view of her delectable derrière that had fit perfectly in his lap.’
- ‘I woke up to Ohio's famously freezing weather and accidentally tripped myself as I got out of bed, therefore landing on my freezing derrière right in the middle of the freezing, uncarpeted floor.’
- ‘By the end of the century corsets produced the sinuous body shape of the Gibson girl, with a protruding bust and derrière, and small waist.’
- ‘Serenity growled, reaching behind her to rub her sore derrière.’
- ‘If I find out you have I'll kick your derrière most thoroughly as an antidote.’
- ‘The designers have gone in for somewhat spectacular loincloths which leave the derrière completely exposed.’
- ‘She blushed at the thoughts running through her mind after surveying him fully still clad in his charcoal grey dress pants that accented his derrière perfectly.’
- ‘Once your derrière is dry, do your bike a favor and spin the wheels to help get any remaining water out of the hub.’
- ‘All of which is softer, more cushioned and far gentler on a sore derrière.’
Late 18th century: French, literally ‘behind’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.