Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used as a substitute for speech regarded as meaningless or stupid, or to comment on a foolish or stupid action.‘Lower tax rates and far lower job creation. Derp’‘they will probably go “herp derp downloading ROMs is bad”’
- ‘Someone with over 2,500 posts calling ME a troll. Derp.’
- ‘"I'm new, this is so weird, herp derp look at me, I'm writing, now I'm writing about writing, I'm so clever" - one of these days he's going to get around to actual baseball analysis, right?’
- ‘Derp, either I'm not paying enough attention when I type or my subconscious is feeling extra-pious today.’
- ‘You are in the "tech community" yet don't realize you can run Windows on a Macbook as smoothly as if it were native, or that you can install Microsoft Office programs on the Mac operating system herp derp.’
- ‘Humanity did pretty well before any education existed derp.’
- ‘Primary sources were probably unavailable for comment for fact-checking purpose, since - herp, derp - they were rescuing people and putting out fires and stuff.’
- ‘I imagine the anti-cop set will say "why wasn't he arrested derp derp?"’
- ‘Edit: derp, if I would have read a little more it's in the summary of what one gets with the subscription.’
- ‘Not much point boycotting the company anymore if the reason for boycotting has gone away...derp.’
- ‘Herp derp, they NEED tips because they're not paid enough by their employers!’
Foolishness or stupidity.‘the derp heard outside apparently was only the tip of the iceberg’
- ‘The Twitterverse erupted in short order at the high-grade derp that had been discovered.’
- ‘After sifting through the charred remnants of the Interweb, I opted to just share with you a small share of this Cornucopia of Derp.’
- ‘I keep hoping they'll have an epiphany, but what I see instead is their irresistible urge to double down on the derp.’
- ‘Well, this was my first visit to the site and the sheer mass of derp in the comments does not exactly entice me to return.’
- ‘Conditioned by the empty, endless sturm und derp that comprises the daily political news cycle, it's always a surprise, sometimes a shock, to see politicians shrug off their sound bite characters like the stage costumes they are.’
- ‘This is quite possibly my favourite Tweet of all time, and "lactose and tolerant" opens up whole new rolling vistas of derp.’
- ‘Too often this season, the team will go long stretches where it seems like all they know how to do is derp.’
- ‘But all you have is derp to back up your statment.’
- ‘Campbell, a senior at the school, took the initiative on her own to make sure that future classes aren't subjected to that level of derp.’
- ‘Good post, although I suspect it's gonna have a lotta derp in the comments when the other side sees it.’
1990s: probably an alteration of dur or duh.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.