One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Occasionally, the upper reticular dermis also may be infiltrated, but by isolated single cells.’
- ‘Cigarettes independently damage the elastic fibers of the dermis and promote elastosis similar to that found in sun-exposed skin.’
- ‘Mitotic figures are variably present, and tumor aggregates may extend into the reticular dermis or even subcutaneous fat.’
- ‘The dermal-epidermal junction, papillary dermis, and reticular dermis were assessed separately.’
- ‘The reactive epithelium may extend into the superficial reticular dermis, simulating a carcinoma.’
- 1.1Anatomy The thick layer of living tissue below the epidermis which forms the true skin, containing blood capillaries, nerve endings, sweat glands, hair follicles, and other structures.
- ‘Although it is composed of two primary layers, the outer epidermis and the inner dermis, it also contains arteries, veins, nerve fibers, sweat glands and hair follicles among other things.’
- ‘The thicker or inner layer of the dermis contains blood vessels, hair follicles, nerve endings, sweat and sebaceous glands.’
- ‘The epidermis is devoid of blood vessels but is nourished by diffusion from capillaries in the underlying dermis.’
- ‘The middle layer, or dermis, contains connective tissue, small blood vessels, sweat and oil glands, nerves, and cells that produce collagen, called fibroblasts.’
- ‘The biopsy should include surrounding skin with underlying dermis and connective tissue so that the pathologist can evaluate the depth of stromal invasion.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, suggested by epidermis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.