Inflammation of the skin and underlying muscle tissue, involving degeneration of collagen, discoloration, and swelling, typically occurring as an autoimmune condition or associated with internal cancer.
- ‘In addition to inflammatory infiltration and destruction of muscle, patients with dermatomyositis or polymyositis may have involvement of other organ systems.’
- ‘In some patients with classical dermatomyositis, skin disease activity returns without the return of muscle weakness.’
- ‘Strong internal medical treatments that are necessary to control the autoimmune features of dermatomyositis.’
- ‘Topical corticosteroids decrease the itching by decreasing the inflammation in the skin caused by dermatomyositis.’
- ‘Rheumatic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, dermatomyositis, and scleroderma are thought to be autoimmune diseases.’