One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The lateral wall of each somite in a vertebrate embryo, giving rise to the connective tissue of the skin.
- ‘In the embryo dermatomes can be represented as horizontal stripes on the body surface.’
- ‘The dermatomes do no more than represent the original relationship of the limb buds to the trunk at the earliest stage of development of the embryo.’
- ‘In the thoracic region, the myotome has grown ventrally to meet the ventral edge of the dermatome, the cells have become spindle shaped.’
- 1.1Physiology An area of the skin supplied by nerves from a single spinal root.
- ‘Although any vertebral dermatome may be involved, T5 and T6 are most commonly affected.’
- ‘The pain is associated with partial weakness in the muscles supplied by the involved nerve root and sensory loss in the appropriate dermatome.’
- ‘Referred pain has many of the characteristics of parietal pain but is felt in remote areas supplied by the same dermatome as the diseased organ.’
- ‘Another symptom may be referred pain in a related dermatome or myotome; for example diffused pain in the buttock or thigh.’
- ‘The characteristic vesicular rash of herpes zoster usually affects a single dermatome and rarely crosses the midline.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.