Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition of the skin in which it becomes red, swollen, and sore, sometimes with small blisters, resulting from direct irritation of the skin by an external agent or an allergic reaction to it.Compare with eczema
- ‘Eczema, also known as dermatitis, describes skin conditions where there is irritation or inflammation of the skin.’
- ‘Irritant contact dermatitis is a skin reaction caused by the direct effect of an irritant substance on the skin.’
- ‘Other conditions that can cause similar symptoms include heat rash, dermatitis or thrush.’
- ‘Allergic contact dermatitis improves with removal of the sensitizing agent.’
- ‘Deficiency leads to pellagra, a condition characterized by dermatitis, diarrhea and certain mental health problems.’
Late 19th century: from Greek derma, dermat- skin + -itis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.