One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fossil redeposited in a sediment which is younger than the one in which it first occurred.
- ‘Fossils that have been moved in this was are called derived fossils.’
- ‘Previous reports have described a concretion derived fossil assemblage rich in brine shrimp, chironomid midge pupa, and dytiscid beetle larvae.’
- ‘Most lipid biomarkers do not provide information on whether water column derived fossil species are truly ancient or still physiologically active.’
- ‘No débris of Lower Cretaceous rock or derived fossils were found in the contact strata of the Woodbine.’
- ‘Such derived fossils, surviving erosion of the parent rock to become incorporated into a later one are said to be reworked or remanie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.