One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fossil redeposited in a sediment which is younger than the one in which it first occurred.
- ‘Most lipid biomarkers do not provide information on whether water column derived fossil species are truly ancient or still physiologically active.’
- ‘Such derived fossils, surviving erosion of the parent rock to become incorporated into a later one are said to be reworked or remanie.’
- ‘Fossils that have been moved in this was are called derived fossils.’
- ‘Previous reports have described a concretion derived fossil assemblage rich in brine shrimp, chironomid midge pupa, and dytiscid beetle larvae.’
- ‘No débris of Lower Cretaceous rock or derived fossils were found in the contact strata of the Woodbine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.